logoResources, reviews,discussions and more..
Login | Register
> >

Punakha Dzong

Location : Punakha

The Punakha Dzong, also known as Pungtang Dechen Phodrang Dzong (meaning 'the palace of great happiness or bliss'[1][2]) is the administrative centre of Punakha dzongkhag in Punakha, Bhutan. Constructed by Zhabdrung (Shabdrung) Ngawang Namgyal in 1637-38, it is the second oldest and second largest dzong in Bhutan and one of its most majestic structures. The Dzong houses the sacred relics of the southern Drukpa Kagyu school including the Rangjung Kasarpani, and the sacred remains of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and Terton Padma Lingpa. Punakha Dzong was the administrative centre and the seat of the Government of Bhutan until 1955, when the capital was moved to Thimphu

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P...

Last Updated : Images
Punakha Dzong Punakha Dzong
©bhutan.la All right reserved